Monday, November 9, 2015

Febreze Alternatives: DIY recipes

Scented candles, air fresheners, potpourri, incense; all the things that make our homes smell amazing! These are also things that have toxic chemicals if we breathe them in. Most candle wicks have lead in them and air fresheners have Diethly Phthalate or DEP. According to ToxipediaDEP is linked to hormonal changes and genital development in humans. I, like most people, love a fresh smelling home but I also want to make sure my family is safe from harmful chemicals. My dad passed away 3 1/2 years ago from cancer and that is when I really started thinking about my family's health. They didn't know what caused the cancer in the first place and diagnosed it as cancers from unknown origins! I started looking at ingredients in everything we ate, candles we burned, and everything I wanted to buy; ingredients I never really worried about before. Even though I studied in the medical field, I never thought twice about these toxins. 

Image result for air freshener ingredients

The good news is there is hope. Ladies (and gentlemen who enjoy the scents as well), we can still have a fresh smelling home with all the fruity, floral, and woody scents that we love! How, you ask? We make them! Yep, we can make them with some everyday household ingredients! Well, natural ingredients. Today I'm going to share a simple DIY recipe for Frebeze!

It only takes four simple ingredients and here they are!

Recipe
32 Oz spray bottle
2 Cups of Distilled Water
1/2 - 1 Cup of Witch Hazel 
2 TBS of Baking Soda
5 drops of Essential Oils 
   
In a 32 Oz bottle, add 2 cups of distilled water and 1/2- 1 Cup of Witch Hazel. Take 2 TBS of baking soda and shake the bottle until the baking soda is almost or fully dissolved. Take your favorite essential oils and add them.  I use doTERRA Oils because a little goes a long way. I only needed to use 5 drops of Lavender vs. the 15-20 drops I would need to add from any other brand. I have other brands of essential oils that I use for many things but doTERRA is my favorite!
Lastly shake it all up and enjoy the fresh scents safely! 



For more all natural products, check out my website at Neshamahessentials.com.

And for videos on how to make recipes like this one and more, visit my YouTube channel at youtube.com/ChristinaPeckNE

Christina Peck



No comments:

Post a Comment